This excursion is now sold out.
Experience Grand Rapids hosts Grand Rapids, Michigan post tour
Participants of the 2017 Beer Bloggers & Writers Conference in Milwaukee are invited to attend the Grand Rapids, Michigan post tour hosted by Experience Grand Rapids from Sunday, August 6th to Monday, August 7th.
To get to Grand Rapids, attendees will cruise across Lake Michigan to Muskegon on the Lake Express. Before even reaching the Amway Grand Plaza, a 4-diamond hotel, there will be stops at three breweries including Perrin Brewing Company, New Holland Brewing- The Knickerbocker Brewpub & Distillery, and Harmony Hall.
In June 2016, Perrin Brewing Co. collaborated with Florida’s Cigar City Brewing to craft a specialty beer that was only released in Michigan called “White Noise”, an Imperial White IPA. New Holland Brewing opened a second location called The Knickerbocker in September 2016 where they sell their brews such as Dragon’s Milk and a variety of craft spirits. Harmony Hall is the second location for Harmony Brewing Company positioned in the Westside neighborhood. The atmosphere and menu have been crafted with German beer hall influences.
On Monday the group will enjoy breakfast in the Uptown neighborhood at a local favorite, Wolfgang’s Restaurant. The location dates back to around 1900 when it was trolley barn for the Reeds Lake Railroad Company. Attendees will then tour Brewery Vivant, which was the first LEED certified commercial microbrewery in the world. Brewery Vivant is also unique because it is housed in a former funeral home. Finally, the group will visit Founders Brewing Company. Founders is one of the largest craft breweries in the nation with beer available in several states and across seas.
Grand Rapids is looking forward to hosting this post tour for a group of BBC17 conference attendees. Get ready to wet your whistle with Grand Rapids’ brews!
Grand Rapids Tour Highlights
- Ride the Lake Express across Lake Michigan
- Stay at the Amway Grand Plaza- a 4-diamond hotel
- Visit 5 Grand Rapids breweries including:
- Founders Brewing Co.
- Brewery Vivant
- Perring Brewing Co.
- New Holland Brewing- The Knickerbocker Brewpub & Distillery
- Harmony Hall
Tentative Excursion Itinerary
Sunday, August 6th
11:30 AM- Depart from Best Place via taxi (at your own cost) to the Lake Express terminal.
12:30pm- Transport from Milwaukee to Muskegon on Lake Express High Speed Ferry
4:00pm- Arrive in Muskegon/Transport to Grand Rapids
5:30pm- Beer tasting and dinner at Perrin Brewing Company
8:00pm- Beer tasting at New Holland Brewing
9:00pm- Beer tasting at Harmony Hall
10:00pm- Arrive at hotel
Monday, August 7th
8:30am- Breakfast at Wolfgang’s Restaurant
10:00am – Tour of Brewery Vivant
11:00am- Tour and Tasting at Founders Brewing Co.
Airport departures after 2:00pm
10 Reasons Why Beer Bloggers Should Jump on Board with Grand Rapids
Things to Note
- Cost for the post-con excursion is only $25 for citizen bloggers and $50 for all others registrants. Attendance is limited to 30 people – you can REGISTER HERE
- If you will be driving to the conference and want to take your car on the ferry with the group, please call Amy Braschler at Lake Express directly at 414-727-7781. One way passage is $109.00. We suggest you call sooner rather than later.
- If you are flying to the conference, you should fly into MKE and out of GRR. Amway Grand Plaza does not provide transportation to the airport so attendees should arrange Uber or taxi depending on flight times.
- Local Taxi Services include:
- Great Lakes Taxi: 616-241-5150
- Metro Cab of Grand Rapids: 616-827-6500
- Calder City Taxi: 616-454-8080
- Grand Rapids Taxi: 616-458-6666
- My Taxi Service: 616-456-8222
- Yellow Cab: 616-459-4646
- Overnight accommodations at Amway Grand Plaza are $119.00 plus 15% tax. To make your hotel reservation, click here. Cutoff for making your hotel reservation is July 14.
- Self-parking at the Amway Grand Plaza hotel is $24.00 per day – valet parking is $29.00 per day.