Spend a few minutes on the Birra Toccalmatto homepage, and try not to become intrigued. There is a mysterious quality to what Birra Toccalmatto is up to, and for good reason. Their motto is:
“Passion for Alive Beers with creativity and innovation”
Birra Toccalmatto is joining us in Edinburgh this year for #EBBC13 from Fidenza, Italy (Italy’s “Food Valley”) where it has been brewing crafty concoctions since 2008.
Nothing seems to be off limits for Birra Toccalmatto as long as the brewed results are quality driven and food worthy. They experiment with exotic strains of yeast and play with various ingredients (smoked malt); and there is no shortage of hops in their beers.
In fact, many of their beers “have a major use of hops”, and they are cultivating 16 experimental varietals in Italy between Fidenza and Tabiano.
- Re Hop: American Pale Ale with luppolatura “German” lager
- Stria: Delicate & refined blonde beer. Brewed in the Cologne style.
- Skizoid: A crazy drinkable American IPA winter ale
- Jadis: A winter innovative Double Blanche made with Fortana grape wort.
- Surfing Hop: Imperial IPA produced by mountains of hops.
Birra Toccalmatto beers are available in Italy and in the UK. Participants of the 2013 European Beer Bloggers Conference will meet Dr. Bruno Carilli who will be sharing a selection of Birra Toccalmatto during the opening tasting reception as well as during Live Beer Blogging.