For the IFBC21 Social Media Virtual Summit on January 15, 2021, we had an informative session with YouTube expert Lorena Graeter from Green Healthy Cooking. Read on to learn specifics recording techniques to get you started on YouTube. *This is a summary of her talk. You can view the full video session by registering now.*
1. No one cares about you
We mean this in the nicest way possible! They care about themselves and what they will get out of the video. No one notices the little things that you notice. Immediately after the video, viewers will go about their day while you spend the entire day stressing about something no one noticed. Don’t let that happen! Have some confidence!
2. Techniques for recording video
- Look directly into the lens and imagine someone you trust sitting on a little chair in the back on the lense (don’t look at yourself on the side view)
- Take the video step by step if you feel overwhelmed having to record the entire thing. You can stop and start as many times as you want and edit.
- Film your videos where ever you have the best natural lighting, even if it’s not in the kitchen. Natural light is the best, much better than cheap lights.
- Experiment with different videos to see what your audience wants. Are they looking for a short concise video or long stories about you? Find out and stick to that.
- If you write out a script, write it in a conversational tone. Include things like, “Yeah!” or “Yumm!”
- 3 Second Rule: People get bored if they view the same things for longer than three seconds. You can show the same ingredient, but change up the angle.
3. Recommended equipment
- External microphone
- C Stand
4. “Your first video on YouTube should be horrible!”
If you’re already proud of your nice, well-filmed video, you started too late. You’ve missed six months of practicing in front of the camera. The more you practice the better.
Register now to get more information and listen to the full video session from Lorena Graeter! To view all sessions from the January 15, 2021, Social Media Virtual Summit check out our Agenda Page. Registration for our next Website + SEO virtual summit is now open! Register Now.